Identity Theft Scams
Text Message Scam Alert
Some area credit union members are receiving unsolicited text messages. The message urges the recipient to call a provided number regarding a compromise on their credit/debit account. If you receive requests to contact Premier Credit Union, be sure to use our main phone number 515-282-1611 or toll-free, 1-866-273-9938. If you feel that you may be a victim of this scam, please contact Card Services immediately. For declined or potential fraud on credit cards call 1-800-234-5354 and for debit cards call 866-508-2693. To report your card number as lost or stolen on credit cards or debit cards call 800-383-8000.
Vishing Fraud Attacks
Please be aware that some members are being targeted for fraud by phone – also called Vishing. If you recently received a call stating, “your card has been compromised” AND called the 800 number provided, please call the credit union at 1-866-273-9938 immediately. These phone calls are fraudulent in nature and no information should be released.
Premier Credit Union will NEVER contact you via phone, letter, e-mail or text message asking for your account numbers, user names, passwords, or Social Security number. If you are suspicious of a notification from the credit union, please don’t hesitate to verify by calling us toll free at 1-866-273-9938.
Falcon Fraud Protection
- Free on all Premier Credit Union credit and debit cards.
- Monitors and calls or texts you when a transaction is outside your usual purchasing trend.
- It does not affect the way your card transactions are processed.
What to do if your account numbers or personal information is compromised
Immediately call the three national credit reporting organizations listed below to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security Number.
It is also important to notify the Social Security Administration on their Fraud Hotline at (800) 269-0271.
Other Safety Tips
- Report the loss or theft of your credit or debit cards to the card issuer as quickly as possible.
- Keep a list of all your account numbers and each account’s toll-free number to call to report a theft or loss.
- Use caution when disclosing your account numbers, social security number, etc. to others. Employees or agents of your card issuer will have access to this information and would not need to ask for it.
- Memorize your PIN (Personal Identification Number).
- Don’t tell anyone your PIN or account number, or loan anyone your card.
- Monitor account activity and report any suspicious transactions immediately.
- Do not engage in financial transactions with strangers through the mail or online.
- Examine ATM and gas pumps for tampering of the card reader.
- Block the view of others while entering your PIN.
- Remove your cash immediately when you make a withdrawal.
- Make sure you have your card and receipt before you leave the ATM.
Brella is a fraud transaction alerting, balance monitoring and ATM locator application. You can use this free app to block and unblock your card with our transaction control feature! Download Brella from the Apple App Store or Google Play to get started!